Q. How is the Community Foundation governed?
The Community Foundation of Volusia & Flagler is governed by an independent volunteer Board of twenty-three members, representing a wide spectrum of leadership disciplines in the community. The Board provides stewardship and accountability for all funds contributed to the Foundation.
Serving without compensation, Board members approve all grants, reviews investment performance, and oversees the general operation of the Foundation. It is protected by the corporate structure of the United Way of Volusia-Flagler, which was formed as a 501(c)3 public charity under the Internal Revenue Code.
Q. What are the benefits of donor engagement with the Community Foundation?
- Trust. The local United Way was founded in 1941, and its affiliated Community Foundation was founded in 1983. As a community-owned asset, it is governed by a Board of leading private citizens representing the interests of the community.
- Permanency. The Community Foundation creates a legacy of caring by its donors that will last for generations to come. As a secure and stable caretaker of community funds, the Foundation can respond over time to changing community needs thereby ensuring a legacy of lasting importance for its donors.
- Inclusivity. The Community Foundation is the only centralized endowment for local human services in categories of all fields of donor interest. It has a strong tradition of advising donors on how to address gaps in service and solving critical community needs.
- Efficiency. The Community Foundation helps the local United Way operate at a low administrative cost, thereby assuring that more of the donor dollar can directly benefit the people of our community.
- Convenience. The Community Foundation format can relieve the local philanthropist of making multiple gifts of stock and other assets to charities. With one gift, donors can direct their giving to multiple non-profits through the Foundation according to donor instruction, and the Foundation will provide the proper receipts and acknowledgements for tax purposes.